|Michael Lewis Profile
||Guitar -- electric & acoustic
||Keyboards, Acoustic Piano, Percussion Sequencing
||Lead & Background
||Instructor for Guitar and Bass at Musician's Friend in Medford, OR
||Michael Lewis is currently signed with Spirit Jazz Records
||Taylor Guitars • Fuchs Amps • Lava Cable, Celestion Speakers, Keeley Electronics, Southbound Custom Guitars, Furman Electronics, Independent Artist Registry Top 10 Artists (2007).
|Major Label Projects
• Jamie Slocum (Curb Records)
• Created To Praise (Brentwood/Provident)
• One Music Production Music Library (music beds)
• Market Image Inc. of Nashville (jingles)
Notable Artists I've Performed with
• Phil Keaggy (Word Records)
• Mary Wilson of the Supremes (Motown Records)
• Bernadette Peters (actress/singer)
• Wayne Kirkpatrick (songwriter)
• Chris Cain (renowned Blues artist)
• Don Moen (founder Hosanna! Integrity Music)
• Rob Frazier (Word Records)
• Randy Rothwell (Hosanna! Integrity)
• Steve Fry (EMI/Sparrow Records)
• Stacy Mitchhart (award winning blues artist)
• Mark Douthit (saxophonist for Michael McDonald etc.)
Major Label Artists I've worked with as a Session Guitarist, Producer and/or Engineer (live or studio)
• Jon Anderson of Yes (Atlantic Records)
• Wendy Talbot (Word Records)
• Melinda Doolittle (American Idol Top 3 Finalist)
• Out of the Blue (Word Records)
• Big House (MCA Nashville) Released September 29, 1989
• Jamie Slocum (Curb Records)
• Stacy Mitchart
• Curtis Salgado
• John Michael Talbot (EMI Records/Word Records)
• Phil Keaggy (Word Records)
• Kelley Huff
• Phillip Sandifer (Urgent Records)
McDonalds, and many regional commercials nationwide.
Michael has recorded, engineered, produced and sang on a countless number of demos, commercials and independent records.
|Michael has performed in 40 States, Mexico and Europe
|Hundreds of solo performances in the US from Brewer, Maine to San Diego, CA and from Seattle, WA to Boca Raton, FL. International perfromances in Norway, Germany, Switzerland, and Mexico
Michael has a countless number of band performances under his belt. Here are some highlights:
• Michael Lewis Band (since 1997)- venues have included: Watertown Jazz Festival, Gibson Showcase-Nashville, The Davenport Hotel-Spokane...
• Radio Daze Big Band - Nashville, TN (10+ years). Venues have included Franklin Jazz Festival, Clarksville Music Festival, SummerLights in Nashville, Miss Nashville Beauty Pageant, Caffe' Millano, Austin Peay University and tons more...
• Skyline Drive Band - Nashville / Murfreesboro, TN. Popular Top 40 Band with top Nashville session players.
• William Richardson -- Murfreesboro Jazz Festival, Talk of the Town TV program - Nashville, TN
• Jamie Slocum's band -- Christian Artists Seminar of the Rockies - Estes Park, CO
• Rod Lee at The Backyard - Austin, TX and the French Quarter Cafe - Nashville, TN
• Chris Blizzard -Mere Bulles - Nashville, TN
• Stacy Mitchhart and Blues-U-Can-Use at the Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie Bar - Nashville, TN
• Jamie Floyd Band (pop/blues/country) - Nashville, TN
• Brittani Black Band (country) - Nashville, TN
• Terri Brinegar Band (blues) - Nashville, TN
• Natalie Harker & Michael Lewis Duo (pop/rock) - Nashville, TN
•Jamie Slocum -Curb Records / Dove Nominee
•Christian Artists Seminar of the Rockies - Estes Park, CO
•GMA Week performances 1997, 2008
•Hosanna Integrity Music Conferences -- Leader of Worship Bands for the following major label artists: Don Moen • Randy Rothwell • Gary Sadler
Worship Band Guitarist for the following artists all who have had major label affiliation at one time or another:
Rob Frazier • David Baroni • Steve Fry • Michael & Fiona Mellett •
David Hamilton • David Hampton.
Worship band leader for the following:
- New Song Church / The Call-Nashville, Cool Springs, TN
- The Gate Christian Fellowship - Nashville, TN (2006-2008)
- Promise Keepers Regional Conferences - Oregon
- First Church of the Nazarene - Medford, OR ('93-94)
- Lifeteen - Clarksville, TN (2003 to 2008)
Guitarist for worship bands at the following churches:
- Belmont Church on Music Row - Nashville, TN
- Church of the Redeemer - Nashville, TN
- The Gate - Franklin, TN
- Cornerstone Worship Center - Clarksville, TN
- Christ Community Church, Franklin, TN
- Applegate Christian Fellowship - Ruch, OR
- Ashland Christian Fellowship - Ashland, OR
- Redeemer Church - Spokane, WA
- Rock of Ages Church - Spokane, WA
- and many more.
"Michael Lewis' album "A Very Cool Christmas" is a joy
to listen to, both for its content and musicianship.
Ed Alves - Taylor Guitars
Vice President of Marketing
"Michael Lewis is one of the finest jazz guitarists I have heard."
John Michael Talbot, Word Records Artist
former member of Mason Proffit band (Warner Bros. Records)
"Michael, such tasty stuff. Killer tone. Nice Feel. Magical Music!"
Joyce Cooling, Narada Records Artist
"Michael, sounds great! Cool sounding loops, great groove, great composition, killer guitar tone. I like the tune a lot. Can I have it to put on my CD?"
Tom Hemby, Grammy & Dove Award Winner
Guitarist, Producer & Songwriter
"Michael Lewis is a gifted musician and an artist to watch in the field of Christian Jazz. He's got his finger on the pulse of the smooth jazz market. Great playing and good production make his projects among the best I've heard."
Ed Kee - Director of A&R, Brentwood Jazz
"Michael Lewis is one of the smoothest guitar
players we've ever heard."
Dudley Smith, President, ICM Records
|Recording Bio • Styles Recorded
|• Contemporary Jazz
• Big Band Jazz
• Contemporary Country
• Contemporary Christian
• Pop Rock
• Classic Rock
• New Age Jazz
|Recording Formats Available In-House
|• Pro Tools HD 2 system with PT 7.1
• Digital Performer 4.6 w/MOTU 2408 MkII interface
• Apogee AD-16X A to D
• Tascam DM-24 console
• ADAT Type II (20 bit) XT-20
• Computer Platform: Mac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
• File Formats: SDII, Aiff, WAV etc.. up to 96K 24 bit
• Plug Ins: Waves Platinum, Focusrite, Pultec, Smack, Bomb Factory and tons more
• Preamps and Compressors: Anthony Dimaria labs, API, Avalon, Drawmer, GML, Manley
Michael's private studio is fully equipped for recording from concept to mixdown. 22 years of engineering and production experience enables Michael to get the finest results from his state-of-the-art Pro Tools HD 2 rig.
• Tascam DM-24 96K 32 channel digital mixer
• Yamaha 01V 24 channel digital console
• Top quality Mic Pre's and Compressors by GML, Manley, Avalon and Focusrite
Great Collection of Mics including; Great Collection of Mics including; AKG C-12, D-12, C451, C1000's, Audix OM2, D6, D2, Earthworks QTC-30's, Groovetubes GT55, Rode NT-2000, NTK, Shure 58's, Studio Projects C1, B1's.
|• Will work with files sent over the internet? yes
• Tape format? yes -- ADAT - 16 or 20 bit.
• Can send sound files via mail? yes
• Will travel to sessions? yes
• Available for live performances? yes
|Personal Gear / Guitar Rig
|Taylor Acoustics • Taylor Nylon String • an array of Gibson and Fender electrics, Michael Lewis Pro I electric
|Yamaha Nathan East 5-String
|Fuchs Custom hand tuned TDS & ODS Heads (Dumble type),
65-amps Monterey & London (vintage rock).
Lexicon PCM 60
Boss CE-300 Super Chorus
TC Electronics Triple C Compressor
Pedal Board for Electric Guitars
Ibanez TS-808 Tube screamer (the original)
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
Danelectro -- Chili Dog (octave)
Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q
Plush Pedals by Fuchs (entire line)
Colour Boost Pedal by 65Amps
Pedal Board for Acoustic Guitars
Boss Loop Factory
Ibanez Stereo Chorus
Boss Super Octave
|Keyboards / Samplers
|•Yamaha C-7E Grand Piano
•Roland JX-10 Super JX
•Ensoniq EPS-16 Turbo Sampler
•Native Instruments B-4
•Native Instruments Absynth
•Stylus RMX for Loops
•MOTU MX-4 Multi Synth Plug-in
|•Korg Triton Rack
•Yamaha TX 802
|Michael's Artist Endorsements
||2007 Top 10
|Michael's Players for His Band and Recordings
Michael's bands and recordings included a small group of players that Michael has worked with for many years. All of these players have major credentials, including:
Grammy award winning drummer Brian Fullen. Brian has a long list of credits including Peter Frampton, Shania Twain, Larry Carlton, Katthy Mattea and more. Brian has also done a number of live performances with Michael.
Grammy award winning bassist Chris Kent. Chris and Michael have worked together since 1989 back in Portland, Oregon. Chris earned a Grammy performing on Larry Carlton's No Substitutions project. Chris has also performed or recorded with Michael McDonald, Steve Lukather (Toto), Take 6, Lorrie Morgan, Denny Jiosa, Hal Ketchum and more.
Bassist John Billings has performed and recording with Michael many times. His credentials include: Donna Summer, Rick Springfield, Chely Wright, Tanya Tucker, the Wooten Brothers and more.
Drummer Mark Nemer also performed with Michael on a regular basis. His credits are huge, here's a couple of the major names he's worked with: Whitney Houston, Dionne Warwick, Luther Vandross, Patti Labelle, Michael W. Smith and many more.
Brice Williams and Dennis Edwards (drums and bass) backed Michael up on a regular basis and later went on to be founding members of the hit country band Lady Antebellum.
|Michael Lewis Discography
River Of God (instrumental jazz) 1989
The Vision (Christian Jazz/Fusion) 1992
A Very Cool Christmas (Instrumental Smooth Jazz 2000
Discovery (Contemporary Christian) 2003
Heart Strings - Pop/Jazz/Blues (EP Released 2007)
Blue Street -- Instrumental jazz (EP Released 2008
Major Production Library Releases
Hot Wired (One Music/First Com Distributed by Universal Music Project #OMCJZ008L)
Pop Jazz Christmas (One Music/First Com Distributed by Universal Music Project #OMPOP023L)
|The Tone Zone
Michael publishes "The Tone Zone" newsletter with a nationwide distribution which covers topics related to tone challenges for guitar players.